A question we have been asked by clients when they are deciding on a change in their house, is why get a painted or wallpapered feature wall? Whether it’s painted or wallpapered, a feature wall can completely change the dynamic and feel of a room.
1. Having a feature wall can accomplish quite a few things, such as bringing out particular colours in your furnishings by matching them to the feature wall.
2. Depending on which wall you choose to paint or wallpaper as your feature wall, it can give the appearance of shorting or lengthening a room. A light wall in a dark room will appear further away, adding length. Similarly, a dark wall in a light coloured room will shorten a room.
3. As mentioned above, a feature wall can also deepen or lessen recesses in a room, depending on whether you use light or dark colours. If you want to deepen recesses and alcoves then you use light colours in a darker surrounding, and the opposite if you wish to lessen the effect.
4. A feature wall can also alter the mood of a room entirely!
5. Using the same psychology as point 4, you can make ceilings in rooms seem higher or lower depending on the colour. Darker colours will lower the appearance of a ceiling. This is a method often used in period houses with very high ceilings.
6. Whilst a feature wall can be achieved by painting it, wallpaper can also be used. Wallpaper is great for getting the same effect by wallpapering your feature wall. Depending on the colours and pattern of the wallpaper, it can be even more so in some cases.
So it’s time to experiment!
A wallpapered feature wall we did in a show house in Dun Laoghaire
A wallpapered feature wall we did on the landing of a staircase
A wallpapered feature wall we did in a living room in Killiney