Tips on painting and decorating when selling your home
Interior painting and decorating
When someone is selling their home, they clearly want the best price they can get while spending the least amount of money. Well in this, like in all things, there is a balance.
I say to our clients that what they spend before the sale of their house on painting and decorating, they will make on the other end after the sale. This is, however, providing it’s done properly, by somebody that knows what they are doing!
- Proper painting preparation is essential for preparing your house for painting before selling it
- Filling all the cracks and having smooth properly painted walls and woodwork.
- Sharp lines where ceilings meet walls, especially in the entrance and hallway leading you into the property.
What paint colours to use when for selling your home?
- Never get too personal with your colour scheme, make it warm whilst remaining neutral. Remember, people’s tastes vary greatly. So don’t paint the living room purple just because it’s your favourite colour!
- If you feel the need to express yourself, I find that a feature wall in an otherwise neutral room works well, especially if it picks up on an aspect of the decor.
General tips when preparing your house for sale
- Remove all clutter, to create a sense of space and “free-flowing energy”.
- Remove as much artwork and personal pictures as possible so viewers will not be distracted from the main event – the house!
- It is important to do your decorating early so your home does not smell of paint, as you want it to look naturally clean and inviting and not staged.
- Remember they (the viewers) are looking at “their new home” not just a house.
And of course, the old trick of brewing coffee or baking bread to permeate throughout the house before viewing is a good one as it makes the house feel “homely”.
Are you looking for painters and decorators to paint your home before you sell it?
Call Paul at Impressions Painting and Decorating a call on 0872704879 or fill in the contact form and we’ll call you back.