Over the past 20 years, one painting and decorating job we are asked to do on a regular basis is to hand-paint varnished, wooden kitchens cupboards. Hand-painting existing kitchen cupboards is an affordable way to modernise a kitchen or is a great way to breathe new life into dated but durable kitchen cupboards. In this blog we’ll show you how to hand-paint wooden kitchen cupboards.
1. The very first step is to remove all of the handles and hinges. As you are doing this, put them in plastic bags or wrap them together in masking tape and label them.
2. Next, number the doors and drawers with chalk or stickers on the inside to ensure that the correct drawers is replaced in the correct place. The numbers should correspond with the handles and hinges that have been taken from the door or drawer.
3. Now to the doors and drawers! This is much the same as painting laminate kitchens, in that the cupboards need to be sanded down to prepare the surface for the appropriate primer.
4. Once the surface has been properly prepared, we prime the cupboards.
5. Next step is to caulk the kitchen cupboards. When you hand-paint a wooden kitchen, all the gaps that you would normally would not see are now visible. When you caulk them it makes the gaps disappear!
6. After caulking, paint the cupboard with an undercoat.
7. Once the undercoat is dry you then finish by hand-painting with eggshell paint.
8. After the paint has dried, re-attach the corresponding hinges and handles and replace the drawers and doors.
And there you have it! Your old wooden kitchen cupboards now look fresh and new!
As you can see from above, there is often more work in hand-painting wooden kitchens than you might think. It is nonetheless absolutely worth it, because afterwards you will have a fantastic, updated kitchen for far less than the cost of a new one. You can take further steps to update the look by changing the handles and the worktops to really transform the kitchen.
Below you can see an example of a wooden kitchen which we hand-painted for our client. You can see more examples of our work on our gallery of hand-painted kitchens which we have painted for our clients!
Before photo of a wooden, hand-painted kitchen by Impressions Painters and Decorators in Dundrum
After photo of a hand-painted, wooden kitchen by Impressions Painters and Decorators in Dundrum