A step-by-step demonstration of the restoration of bay windows in a Georgian house
In this blog post, we will look at a client who came to us in need of having the bay windows in their period house restored.
Windows were primed with aluminium primerWindows were primed with aluminium primer
Attention to cracks to ensure good adhesion of epoxy filler.Attention to cracks to ensure good adhesion of epoxy filler.
Filled with epoxy filler, sanded, undercoated and caulked.Filled with epoxy filler, sanded, undercoated and caulked.
Perfect finish in white gloss.Perfect finish in white gloss.
A beautiful restored windowA beautiful restored window
Click on a photo to reveal full image.
For this job, our clients Georgian period home needed its sash bay windows restored. In our time, we have worked on many restorations of period houses around Dublin and have built up a comprehensive knowledge of how to deal with these, as each period house is different.
This client wanted to repair rather than replace existing woodwork.
How to restore windows in a Georgian house
1. First, we exposed all cracks and potentially rotten wood, then we injected any areas of the sash window that was soft with wet rot hardener so we would have a sound surface in which to fill. We have found that the best way to treat rotten wood in all period sash windows is with wet rot hardener.
2. Next, we primed the wood with aluminium primer to protect the wood and make sure surface was prepared for epoxy filler. In most cases, raw exposed wood is treated with aluminium primer for maximum protection.
3. Then using an epoxy filler from Ronseal, we flush-filled all holes and cracks.
4. When the filler was dry we sanded smooth and undercoated until solid white usually two to three coats, and finished in exterior hard gloss.
5. In some cases, it may be necessary to get our associates in to remove sash windows to free them up, and re-weight the sash windows to make sure they have smooth movement and do not stick.
6. To finish, draft excluding strips would be fitted to ensure no more drafts in the sash windows. The sash windows will now be draft proofed.
Do you need your sash windows restored?
If you like what we have done on this job, and would like to discuss sash window restoration in your period home, please call Paul on 0872704879 or contact us for a quote.